THE DUNEDIN FRINGE FESTIVAL 2008 : crude is participating in 2 events:::: firstly, 'sound in the cracks' - 'INNOCENCE' : INNOCENCE (April 3rd, 8pm) Forty (or so) Dunedin musicians are put into a room. All of their names are put into a hat. Then a series of short (generally speaking, 5 to 12 minute) silent films are shown. For each film, three musicians' names are pulled out of the hat. They then improvise the soundtrack to the next film, which they are unlikely to have seen before. ($12/$10conc)
the other shows in the sound in the cracks series:cHERE
EXPERIENCE (April 4th, 8pm) A night of modern composition, interpreted at its' most basic level - that one person tells some other people what to do. This is composition in paint, in word, in flesh, in ether - as well as music. All works are by Dunedin residents. ($12/$10conc) PRIVATE (April 5th, 8pm) A night of immersion. Here, we erase the borderline between musician and audience to give an even greater understanding of how musicians work and think. Not quite a workshop, and not exactly a "happening" - but definately a unique experience. This night is FREE but numbers are strictly limited. No intoxicated persons will be admitted. PUBLIC (April 6th, time to be confirmed but approx. 2 or 3pm) An exploration of Dunedin's acoustic ecology. Some transport will be provided, but please bring your own if you can. FREE. SOUND IN THE CRACKS utilises the skills of over 60 Dunedin-based creative musicians, and well as workers in other discplines, and the films in the first concert have been collected from top-notch makers from around the country. ||then
PRIVATE (April 5th, 8pm) A night of immersion. Here, we erase the borderline between musician and audience to give an even greater understanding of how musicians work and think. Not quite a workshop, and not exactly a "happening" - but definately a unique experience. This night is FREE but numbers are strictly limited. No intoxicated persons will be admitted.
PUBLIC (April 6th, time to be confirmed but approx. 2 or 3pm) An exploration of Dunedin's acoustic ecology. Some transport will be provided, but please bring your own if you can. FREE.
after collaborating with punk rockers in the Czech Republic, experimental musos in Malaysia, and Hip-Hop and Gamalan in Eastern Java, the mr sterile Assembly, 4 Wellington avant/punk/jazz musicians, perform alongside experimental Dunedinites to deliver 2 hours of total sensory submersion: a molotov of music, film, installation, animation and cricket pads.
wondering about those major releases from the ninetees? i trawled the net and found many of them extant. check 'em here
-----Life and love.So sayeth the award winning French actress. Passion. Anyway. What is happening in Camp Crude you ask? Very important: indeed : LIFE CHANGING , Terra QUAKINGLY important stuff is going down here. First : local Dunedin multi-medium artist Aliki Boufis (khomet, haunted turneys, glee cartel etc etc) has contributed a 15 track platter of sound-genius to the Artless Intent corpus. As soon as cover arts received, the album goes live.(as in , well, its available). might post a whole track (here it is : track 9 from 5454's travelogue album!)as the sample instead of the usual 'micro-sample'. 'Tis a strange world, this open source one. The 'mp3 blog' phenomenon is another weapon in the free content arsenal , perhaps in 10 years the idea of 'buying' a recording will be deemed preposterous. Oh well, we do what we fricken can , don't we Stu. I mean hell, i've 'given away' a wack-load.But i still try to 'sell' stuff. I try. And on occasion, I do. Anyone reading this in China?India? Didn't think so. Where are you? Do you feel like buying a Crude cd? Or would you rather just download something? Does the 2008 data cd, not released until december, interest you? It'll be like $50. Only a fraction released free. Most of it exclusively yours..oh, GIG COMING UP: march 5. And the Aesthetics got a lovely article in New Zealand Musucian mag. Marvellous, says Cambell Kneale,,,ah,,John Campbell.
well, Crude is back in dunedin for another year of refinement and ferment. Enjoy that 'syringe/insekt' cause it's the only free release or any type of release this year with the exception of decembers datadvd - which will contain all my recordings this year! This year also look out for a recording by The Aesthetics - the first by this line up! Looks like there'll be a few crude shows coming up in the dark belly of dunedin-town soon...i wet my pants in utter excitement. yeah. wet 'em. wet 'em real good. like GG allin.
A PHOTOJOURNAL of the big day out gig is available!!
the big day out - done and done. As soon as i receive photos and the recording, i will place this digital evidence on the Aesthetics page .Also a full sorta tour review. A highly subjective one. So, welcome to 2008. To celebrate, I'm making available the first folder of the years' only release (the long Italian titled dvd discussed below). Unearth these isolationist piece HERE. No Crude shows on the horizon, but the aesthetics will be performing twice in Febuary.
the aesthetics to play big day out 2008 !
Current mood: breezy
Category: Jobs, Work, Careers
Oh, such a shift in our fortunes. After carefull deliberation, the panel of judges from the big day out decided to go with us, a Dunedin band no less, and in 9 days we will be on our petrol-fuelled way to our first Stadium show!
The journey began when we submitted the simple rock song 'Pelvic Arcana' to a local university radio competition. The comp - 'open the big day out', was based firstly on voting , which we won hands down, then on the discernment of a cabal of radio one staff. We won the Dunedin final, and our presskit and track(s) were submitted to bfm/bdo. Apparently, none of the Auckland bands we were up against had what 'they were looking for'. Perhaps it was energy - maybe innovation, i'm not sure.
But they chose us, and we are delighted. We'll (attempt to...if its anything like the crude goes to new york photo diary you may not believe it occured)) keep a road diary , and turn the 30 minute set into more of a 'business card' for the world/indistry we reputedly hate so much , than just a one off gig...we'll make sure we take plenty of ugly on-the-road pics and stadium snaps. I believe our aim qwill be 5-6 real tightly performed numbers leading up to an all-out rock and roll/free-form synth/guitar/drum war near the end.....
........the aesthetics page is prety much complete, wwith the exception of some ugly band-shots, but, the mildly exciting thing is , i've tracked down places online where one can get the long-lost LP 'my right to riches'. All the info is on the pages so go there. Yah. Yah. Yavoll. Good golly. Creationists know how to party. David Icke on Ketamine. Al Jazeera and Crude special non-report. Oil. Peak Oil. Ohhh yeah. Read up on your Daoism, prepare your home garden, get your batteris and all the Crude mp3s you can download. Oh yeah, AI has new releases in the pipeline : Dunedin underground electro-wizards Palace, 5454 aNND THE ONE AND ONLY iso FRIKKEN 12....
Amazon.com has a few second hand copies of Inner City Guitar Perpectives available. Not vinyl though sorry. i believe its out of print. But people love it. And it's also a download
Shit, just looking over this page I notice alot of talk about money. Sorry about that. To counter-balance. I print the words Artistic Integrity.
CRUDE COMPLETE IS NOW AVAILABLE AT A 'NICE' PRICE. THIS PRICE IS $250 NZ, HALF IT'S PREVIOUS VALUE. VALUE. OH VALUE, SUCH PARADOX. ANYWAY, THE DATA DVD IS the future medium for Crude releases, as mentioned below, a years work will be encoded and sold as an archive, no more 'albums' as such. But there is the back-catalogue to check out - they will stay available as albums. Thanks.
::::::::::::::::: NEW RELEASES: Japan spews forth many intense artists and writers , dunnit. One such writer is KENJI SIRATORI, a writer of bizarre prose that's so deconstructed it's like deciphering a pilot's manual for a UFO. His work is hyper-scientific, but organic and bloody, indeed, its is the meth of script. Of late he has been collaborating with musicians(as well as recording his own dark ambient snuff): he provides the words, the musicians, a soundscape. The output has been insanely prolific. And CRUDE has come to the party, through a chance myspace meeting. The fruits of this encounter is a cd entitled 'Alien extermination'. Check out the album's myspace page( yes, inanimate objects have profiles too) . Here's the artless intent page. Have a good listen. CRUDE has finally come out of a kind of slack period, releasing slurries volume 3. slurries volume 4 is on the way, and it's better. There's been crude gigs in Dunedin, the Aesthetics are rocking again and hope to play Australia next year. Thats about it.
CRUDE plays at thee BORDERLINE BALLROOM in chch august 30. hip hip! hooray!
THE AESTHETICS are back from the GRAVE! again! the line up this time is : Morgan Oliver -BASS, Jason Barrett-guitar, Malcom Deans - drums and Matt Middleton - vocals, guitar, synth, sax and percussion. Thjis line up will play their premier shows in October me-thinks. And their ought to be at least 75 percent new original material involved. So i've made a lil' aesthetics page and will add to it as the new line up progresses. check it out HERE.
- back from auckland. will write another one of those overviews regarding the event. if yer interested. um, well, the world stinks real bad. go check out my big link den. don't really care bout much. rock and roll eh? yeah - a roster of control freaks, emotional infants and obseessive-compulsive fetishists.
- cool. off to auckland this week. yay. haven't seen the sky spike for 5 years. those swiss artists rule. I have slightly updated my BIO. Now alls i need is a c.v that will actually get me employed.
- a few pics from my recent show at the crown hotel are HERE. Photos by rok pix.
- tHE real groove article is OUT! GLOSSY,, GLOSSY,,, SHINY!!!
- So it seems this page right here is thee new hub. Is my site all too Web 1.0? Quite possibly. Oh well, we do what we can. Don't we. Yes we do. A visitor to this site 'Dosen't want to work for things' and shouldn't have to unearth stuff. They should be avidly presented with it. I try my best. A reminder of some of your wonderous cruddy options: I have T-SHIRTS for sale! I have LOGOS on view! I have a little piece of PROSE! I have a STOOPID ARTY page! I have GIG POSTERS on view too! What else.....oh yes, a RE-RELEASE! DOPAMINE 20 IS now out as a DATA CD! Wahooooo! Looks like I'll be playing a gig at the Crown Hotel June 30th with Pumice and WOLFSKULL!
- the second artless intent release is now available. Check out the CPU Group's 'eagles in echo' HERE. Tentative arrangements are being made for Crude to play Wellington in August. Crude endorses all sorts of unsavoury things. Crude is nurturing a wonderous presence on myspace. Crude encourages independant, objective news analysis.
- oh my god i'm playing auckland! Part of the ongoing ALT.MUSIC FESTIVAL! The lineup::::::::::::::::::::::::::Schimpfluch-gruppe including Runzelstirn and Gurglestock, Dave Philips, Justice Yeldham and the Dynamic Ribbon Device, and Crude!!!!
entry:::::::::::::: $15, Saturday July 28, 2007, doors 8pm, starts 9pm ...............................................Rising Sun, Karangahape Rd, Auckland
- THE FIRST ARTLESS INTENT RELEASE IS NOW OUT! IT'S BY DUNEDIN ELECTRONIC/IMPROV WIZARD RORY STORM! GO CHECK IT OUT!
- A special pre-realease interview with Shayne Carter is AVAILABLE HERE in the Press section (lower part of the page..). This will be in Real Groove's JUNE 2007 edition! My god, actual press! In a New Zealand music magazine! who'd've thought it? something gotta be wrong...
- new album. part of the 'slurries' series 07. not one thing recorded - all intra-cranial, intra-computer clickerama. all praise to the new flesh eh what. Its called 'SLURRIES VOLUME 2'. check it out in the 'most recent releases' page.
- like anybody who is nobody CRUDE has a page on News Corps' Myspace. check it out HERE
-like whats going on here? why not invest in the programme.
- A FEW PHOTOS FROM NYC ARE HERE
- Amazon.com has a few second hand copies of Inner City Guitar Perpectives available. Not vinyl though sorry. i believe its out of print. But people love it. Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000B2TW/ref=dp_olp_2/105-8161183-4666024
HOT !!*aRTLESS iNTENT to release local artists on special web-catalogue. FIRST RELEASES POSTED MARCH 07 approx. ARTLESS INTENT line focusing on local electronic, experimental, odd-ball, spoken word and scum-rock artists. releases to aid groups in outreach. label un-motivated by competition.
- to aid the bewildered and the off-put i have split the crude catalogue into a trilateral formation thusly :the MOST RECENT RELEASES PAGE, the ESSENTIAL TITLES page (about 15 or so of my personal best) and the FULL BACK-CATALOGUE PAGE (unabashed glory)
New York thing - happened, is now memory. Detailed Report due to Creative New Zealand. Harrased by Work and Income on return. These govt departments obviously do not communicate. Ability to skip country for 'free' resented by winz. Contribution to new zealand culture dubious. crude futures 2007 Current mood: optimistic hello. crude strategies 2007 :
*further online fermentation, general mycological decay.
*departure from 'techno' to 'slurry sound'
*post 'manahattan transfer' report to creative new zealand, general anti-climax
*albums-as-files, direct marketing to brain implants.
*nurofen plus plus, l-tyrosine, dha, blueberry, vinpocetine , alpha lipoic acid(?)
*sporadic volume release of 'slurries' - computer music gunk
*revolving line of credit. retarded but not. probably not.
REVIEW OF THE LINES OF FLIGHT FESTIVAL which incl myself by Stephen Clover is HERE